What is a Smart Thermostat
A Smart Stats is an intelligent way of controlling your heating in order to save money and energy.
Which? Have done many consumer studies regarding smart stats thermostat and potential savings. Below is an outline that will help navigate your choices through what can be a little misleading
Who will save money with a smart thermostat?
- If you want to be able to see exactly how much heating you’re using and how much it is costing you
- Tech-savvy smartphone or computer users, who are comfortable using apps.
- Those with a busy lifestyle, who want to be able to program their thermostat on the go.
- If you have a regular routine, some smart heating controls, such as Nest, can learn your routine and ensure your home is always warm when it needs to be.
- Those who are likely to stay in the same property for several years, as they can recoup the cost of installation through savings on their heating bill.
Who probably won’t save money with a smart thermostat?
- Those that are generally quite forgetful, as they may forget to use the app to remotely switch their heating on or off.
- Non-smartphone or computer users. Although you could opt for a learning thermostat, such as Nest, that can remember your routine.
- Although people that are planning on moving within the next year or two, as they may not have time to recoup the cost of installing the smart heating control through savings on their heating bills.
- If you have a poorly insulated property. It is a better idea to start by improving the energy efficiency of the property before installing a smart heating control.
Different manufacturers claim different savings a year from 14-37%. Hive claims £150 a year saving.
In short, be wary of the big headline savings claims made by smart thermostat companies. Unless you’re in the habit of leaving the heating on while you’re out of the house. The savings you make aren’t going to be large enough to save you hundreds of pounds a year.
Moreover, As an installer we are Nest approved and find this gives our clients the most flexibility and freedom, for the cost it gives the most value in my opinion. Because, for the geeks among us the information, graphs, tables and statistics make saving money through controlling your heating like a fun (although slightly obsessive) game.